Get outside and be safe: Winter Walk to School Day is Feb. 1
Minnesota Safe Routes to School’s sixth-annual Winter Walk to School Day is Feb. 1. It’s a celebration of walking, biking and playing in the coldest and snowiest days of winter.
The idea is simple: go for a walk for at least 15 minutes and don’t let the cold scare you off. Celebrations can start small by simply promoting walking with kids, a classroom taking a walk together, or encouraging more kids to try walking to school.
Here are some tips and strategies for encouraging safe walking to school during the winter months:
- Dress appropriately: Remind students to dress in layers, with a warm coat, hat, gloves, and boots.
- Walk on the sidewalk: When possible, students should walk on the sidewalk rather than the road. If there is no sidewalk, students should walk facing traffic for visibility and as far to the side of the road as possible.
- Use crosswalks: Students should use designated crosswalks when crossing the road to improve visibility for drivers and remind students to look both ways before crossing.
- Stay visible: Encourage students to wear bright or reflective clothing, or to use reflective gear such as a reflector on their backpack or shoes.
- Make a plan: Help students to plan their route to school in advance, and to let a parent or guardian know their route.
- Buddy up: Make the trip more fun, encourage students to walk with a friend or group for added safety and visibility.
- Celebrate successes: Motivate and celebrate students who choose to walk to school and recognize the benefits of active transportation such as improved health, reduced traffic congestion and a positive impact on the environment.
Minnesota Safe Routes to School’s sixth-annual Winter Walk to School Day is Feb. 1.
Help your school win the “Golden Snow Boot” Award! During each Winter Walk to School Day, our MnSRTS team asks participating schools to submit stories and photos of their event to compete for the Golden Snow Boot Award. Submit your stories and photos to [email protected] by Feb. 17 to enter.
See some sample messaging below or check out all the Winter Walk to School Day resources on the recently updated SRTS Resource Center. We’ve got social media posts, flyers, postcards, frequent walker punch cards and sticker templates for you to use!
Register here by Jan. 20 and we’ll support your efforts with materials and incentives to get your school moving.
Five Winter Walking Sample Social Media posts
- Don’t let the winter blues get you down. Embrace the colder months by going for a stroll in the snow. The natural beauty of the winter landscape is sure to lift your spirits. #winterwalking #saferoutestoschool #MnSRTS
- Looking for a fun and healthy way to spend to change up your commute to school? Go for a winter walk! It’s a great way to explore your local neighborhood or take in the stunning scenery of nearby parks and trails. #winterwalking #saferoutestoschool #MnSRTS
- The benefits of walking are endless, and they don’t have to stop just because it’s winter! Bundle up and get moving – your mind and body will thank you. #winterwalking #healthylifestyle #saferoutestoschool #MnSRTS
- There’s nothing quite like the fresh, crisp air of a winter walk to clear your mind and boost your mood. So, bundle up and take a walk – your winter walk to school adventure awaits! #winterwalking #adventuretime #saferoutestoschool #MnSRTS
- With the colder weather, it can be tempting to stay inside. But don’t let the chill keep you from getting some exercise! If you’re able, try walking or biking to school during the winter months. Not only will you stay active, you’ll also help reduce your impact on the environment. #winterwalking #MnSRTS